Schluter-KERDI-DRAIN is a floor drain with an integrated bonding flange for connection to Schluter-KERDI, as well as other bonded waterproof membranes. Product is Available in: Stainless Steal, Brushed Copper/Bronze Anodized Aluminum,Brushed Brass Anodized Aluminum and Brushed Nickle Anodized Aluminum
Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN is a floor drain specifically designed to allow connections to Schlüter-KERDI or other bonded waterproof membranes. Bonded waterproof membranes represent the current state of technology and are increasingly used for ceramic tile and natural stone coverings. Schlüter-KERDI is adhered to the large, trapezoid-perforated bonding flange, which is covered with a fleece webbing, to form a waterproof connection at the top of the drain assembly. KERDI-DRAIN features a square, fully adjustable, stainless steel grate to accommodate 1/4" (6 mm) to 1-1/4" (32 mm) tile thicknesses. The grate assembly allows lateral and tilt adjustment as well. KERDI-DRAIN is designed to simply integrate with standard 2" (51 mm) drain pipes, making it suitable for new construction and renovation.
The drain casing, height adjustment collar, and lateral adjustment ring are made of acrylic nitrite butadiene styrol (ABS). The drain casing features a fleece-covered bonding flange. Note: The drain casing is also available in PVC. The stainless steel grate is made of stainless steel 304 (1.4301 = V2A), and anodized aluminum in brushed brass, brushed copper/bronze, and brushed nickel.
Material Properties and Areas of Application
Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN is a floor drain system for the simple and secure connection of bonded waterproof membranes to the drainage system of buildings. The drain casing's fleeced bonding flange has a large contact area to allow a secure connection between the bonded waterproof membrane and the top of the drain assembly. The simple connection to standard drain outlets makes KERDI-DRAIN suitable for new construction and renovation. Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN complies with CSA standard B79-94 (Floor, Area, Shower Drains, and Cleanouts).
- The Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN drain casing is integrated into the floor assembly and connected to the drainage system. Note: If there is access to the plumbing from below, and the waste line will be connected subsequent to installing KERDI-DRAIN, Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN can be firmly embedded in a ring of loose mortar and leveled before placing the screed.
- The screed is then placed flush with the top of the trapezoid-perforated bonding flange of the Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN. The drain casing and bonding flange must be fully supported.
- As soon as the mortar can be walked upon, apply a bond coat of dry-set mortar to the screed and bonding flange using a 1/4" x 3/16" V-notched trowel.
- Embed the Schlüter-KERDI in the dry-set mortar and work the matting onto the entire surface to ensure proper adhesion and remove air pockets. Be sure the connection between Schlüter-KERDI and the KERDI-DRAIN is secure and watertight. If Schlüter-DITRA is used as the waterproofing layer, it is carried to the perimeter edge of the perforated bonding flange. Then, ensuring full coverage, the Schlüter-KERDI is set, overlapping the DITRA membrane a minimum of 2" (50 mm). Adhesives suitable for setting the Schlüter-KERDI to the bonding flange are dry-set mortars, epoxy mortars, and trowel-applied waterproof membranes such as urethane or similar, which require atmospheric moisture to cure.
- Once the entire membrane, including seams, corners, curbs, and connection to drain, have been completely bonded and, therefore, waterproofed, coatings or tiles can be applied as surface coverings. The grate assembly, which is comprised of the stainless steel grate, the height adjustment ring, and the lateral adjustment ring, is set with mortar. The height of the stainless steel grate is adjusted via the height adjustment collar and aligned flush with the top of the covering. Since the diameter of the height adjustment collar is smaller than the opening of the bonding flange, the grate can be positioned to match the joint pattern of the tile covering. Note: For shower applications, the waterproofing must be applied up to the height of the showerhead.
Schlüter-KERDI-DRAIN requires no special maintenance or care. Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a mild household cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. All cleaning agents must be free of hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acid. The stainless steel grate and the strainer may be removed to clean the drain housing and the drainpipes. (NOTE: The strainer is discontinued as of 10-1-03).